Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tuesday Treasure: Be Still...and Know

We just returned from 5 days of vacation in San Diego. Oh what fun to sit on the beach and feel the wind in my hair, to have my family hand in hand strolling the Boardwalk, to have my quiet time while I hear the waves crash on the banks! Dear Friends, can you tell I'd go back in a minute!

This break away from the day-to-day pace of life could not have come at a better time. It is so nice to get away from the expectations (most that I make for myself) that I need to occupy every minute of my day with something productive.

I think we have all been programed to have our week...our day...even our next hour planned and sometimes we forget that God also has a plan for us. It is because we are so busy trying to be busy that we can't sit still to hear Him. Isn't it just exhausting??

And yet, Psalms 46: 10 says "Be still and know that I am God".

Oh, how refreshing that there is something in my life telling me to stop, take note, to savor, to be quiet. God's word tells us to find rest in Him. I love how the message translates this verse, stop and "take a long loving look" at the Lord.

And that's only part 1. This command comes with a promise; we will know Him as our God. When we are still before Him we are able to recognize that He is the sovereign God of the universe.

We must quiet our soul to hear His gentle whispers...I love you Sommer, oh the plans I have in store for you today...I hope that you will seek me throughout your day....I want to show you all that I have prepared for My glory....I want to be on the throne of your heart today...Sommer, I AM your God.

And yet, so many times there are other things and other voices that take priority in my day and I've missed out...I've missed the opportunity that the Creator of all things had carved out just for me to experience.

I want to share a worship lyric with you. I can't hardly sit sill when they sing this song at my church......my hands immediately reach towards heaven when I imagine soaring over the storms of my life with My Savior and King. I can not think of a more appropriate time to Be Still and know that your God is in control than in the midst of the storms in our lives.

Hide me now, under Your wings. Cover me within Your mighty hand.
When the oceans rise and thunders roar. I will soar with You, above the storm. Father, You are king over the flood, I will be still and know You are God.

Find rest my soul in Christ alone, Know his power, in quietness and trust. When the oceans rise and thunders roar. I will soar with You, above the storm. Father You are king over the flood, I will be still and know You are God.

May we all be encouraged to carve out time to Be Still before the Lord today, basking in the glory of His holiness and splendor.

Want to listen to this song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk8horRi3_E

1 comment:

Kylie said...

I am really enjoying your Tuesday Treasures. It is neat to see what all you are learning and how you are growing as a Christ follower, wife, and mother.

It sounds like y'all had a wonderful time in San Diego. Kaitlyn is precious and she has that lion's roar down to an art.