Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tuesday's Treasure: I give up...and that's okay

Lately when I look in the mirror I expect to see a confident woman who is juggling all the "balls of life", she is in the best shape of her life, has perfect hair, and of course...has on perfect lip-gloss!

Okay, not really but sometimes I feel like I make expectations for myself that are not obtainable. And when I fail at all the checklists I have made for myself, I beat myself up and feel like a failure.

Yesterday at church God was giving me a side message to our study in Revelation. It's okay that I feel inadequate as a mom, wife, and friend. The fact that I can't do it all on my own gives me an opportunity to put my my dependence on Christ to rely on Him..instead of myself. I will always fail my expectations and my greatest treasure is to become even more in need of His strength in all things.

I am on assignment from God to being a loving wife, teacher to my little one, and a friend that loves at all times. But it is a path of disciplined grace. Richard Foster explains : "It is discipline, because there is work for us to do. It is Grace, because the life of God which we enter is a gift which we can never earn....Discipline in and of itself does not make us righteous, it merely places us before God....The transformation..is God's work." What you are today is what you are becoming; You are today what you have been becoming; Every day is a little life, and our whole life is but a day repeated. And lastly..it's all because of grace.

Lord, thank you that I don't have it all and thank you for giving me the grace and freedom in you to render myself helpless-in need of You.

Help me to "strip off every weight" that keeps my spirit down and hinders me from being all that I am through you. That's the key Lord, I am nothing without you, but in You "I can do all things". So I will take today, this day that you have graced me with and accomplish all that I can-and if I don't get it all done...that's just okay. :)

1 comment:

Wynne Elder said...

great treasure today. we can't do it on our own and that's the beauty of life - seeking God and leaning on him in all we do. I read a devo this morning that hit on the fact we should trust His will for our lives not only in the big decisions in life but also in the small occurences of our days. so true, such a great reminder. thanks for sharing your heart sommer - you are amazing CHILD OF GOD. don't ever forget it :) love you